Significant Buildings

Lower Norwood Working Mens’ Institute

Norwood Technical College, also known as The Lower Norwood Working Men’s Institute, was presented by the philanthropist Mr. Arthur Anderson to benefit the community in 1860. Founder of the P & O shipping line, he was also an M.P. from 1847 – 1853 a …


Chapel Road Congregational Chapel

This building was erected between 1819 and 1821 on land bought by William Salter from Benjamin Shaw, to whom it had been allotted by the Lambeth Manor Inclosure Commissioners.  The church  has a plain stock brick body made more imposing by a taller ped …


Grangewood (1861)

Grange Wood House was built in 1861 for Charles Hood.  It was built near the southern end of the Norwood spur at an elevation of 92 metres (300ft), to ensure commanding views to the south and southwest. Hood commissioned the building of Grangewood Hous …


Falkland Park (1890)

Falkland Park was built in 1890 of white Suffolk bricks with Portland Stone dressings.  It was described by English Heritage in 1988 as of ‘Mongrel Classical Style’!  Like The Grange its portico’d entrance is to the side allowing as many rooms as possi …


Harold Road Tennis Club (1887)

  The Harold Lawn Tennis Club was opened in 1887 and occupied the land bordering Orleans Road, Vermont Road and Harold Road. The grounds covered 3 acres, and included seven grass courts, a club house, and a croquet lawn – later adding four hard co …


Gayfere (Pre 1800)

The original Gayfere ‘cottage’ to the left probably dating from before 1800 and the 1850s wing added by Mr Teasedale.   The Leech Ponds behind Gayfere Within its walls, men lived who made their fortune from the quackery that was Edwardian medicine …


The West Norwood Cemetery (1836)

The cemetery was founded by an Act of Parliament in 1836 and was consecrated for its first burials in 1837.  In 1836 the South Metropolitan Cemetery Company bought land from the late Lord Thurlow’s estate in Lower Norwood and created the second of the …


Stanley Halls, South Norwood (1903 to 1907)

With the £120,000 raised from floating his business, The Stanley Works, on the stock market William F. R. Stanley announced that he would “provide the district with a well needed Public Hall” (Norwood News, 1901). The buildings were completed in stages …


The Crystal Palace (1854)

The Palace was designed by Sir Joseph Paxton and after the Great Exhibition finished in October 1851 he had the idea of moving it to Penge Place Estate, Sydenham as a ‘Winter Park and Garden under Glass’. Penge Place, now called Crystal Palace Park, wa …