Becondale Road was built from land originally owned by the Archbishop of Canterbury and was part of Norwood Common. Isaiah Hitchcock sublet the land from William Alexander Watson and laid out the cul de sac in 1876 that became known as Beacon Dale Road, renamed Becondale Road in 1903. Houses built in by Hitchcok in 1879 to 1884 have interesting decoration and balconies...
Maps and Land Ownership
Building of the street
Isaiah Hitchcock built Victorian houses on the east and west sides of the road from 1879 to 1884. The houses were mainly semi detached Victorian villas of three stories with the exception of numbers 1 and 16 which were larger double fronted houses. Isaiah Hitchcock was born in Derbyshire in 1834 and died in 1892 living at 108 Gipsy Hill. He owned a stonemason’s yard on Gipsy Hill near the station. He had two sons Cuzzar and Ernest Hitchcock. In 1891 Cuzzar Hitchcock lived at 5 Becondale Road and worked as a building manager. Ernest Hitchcock lived at 10 Becondale Road and worked as a stone mason.
Numbers 3 to 14 Becondale Road were three storey terraced houses. Numbers 2 and 15 were semi-detached houses. Numbers 18 to 23 were semi-detached three storey villas with balconies. Number 17/17a is a modern build on the site of the original number 17. It lies in the Gipsy Hill Conservation Area and takes elements from terraced houses and semi-detached villas to maximise the accommodation to compliment the original Victorian housing.
Significant Street Buildings