Patterson Road is a road leading off the middle section of Cintra Park, round to the top of Milestone Road towards Church Road. It was originally on part of the land belonging to the Cintra House Estate, a very large mansion house, which was on old Census records as ‘1 Church Road’. Cintra House had acres of land that now consists of Patterson Road, Milestone Road and the middle section of Cintra Park (even numbers). The Art Deco Cintra Court flats and houses were built in the 1930s.
Maps and Land Ownership
Patterson Road leads off Talavera Road/Cintra Park and Cintra Court now stands on the top section of Patterson Road. Cintra House with its huge carriage driveway leading off from Church Road once stood until it was demolished in 1899.
Building of the street
Next to the bungalow in Patterson Road, is another unusual property for the area. Cintra Court, almost Art Deco in style, built on, or very close to the site of the original and magnificent Cintra House. The land was registered to be built upon in 1933, and by 1939, many of the flats became occupied.
One resident , when renovating his windows found written in the window woodwork ‘6th 4 1920″
Significant Street Buildings
In 1939, at the bungalow, lived George Whapham born (1874) a Bank Messenger, his wife, Esther (Bn 1878), and children, Margaret (Bn 1902), who was a Clerk/Stenographer. Margaret was also in the Women’s Army Auxiliary (WAAC) (c1917). Her sister, Vera (Bn 1909), was also a Stenographer.
Another family that resided there in the 1964, was Ivy L Hilder née Gregory (Bn 1898 D1990). Her father had been a Baker and Confectioner from Sedlescombe, Sussex. She married a Thomas Hilder (Bn 1900 D1948) in 1924, who had been in the Royal Air Force during WWII.
Cintra Court Patterson Road
The 1939 Census:
Flats 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23 and 24 were yet to be occupied.
No 3 Cintra Court
Victor Matthew (Bn 1910), a Wharfinger’s Clerk, and his wife Vera Matthew (Bn 1913), who was a Stenographer.
No 7 Cintra Court
Alice Jackson (Bn 1867) and Eileen Jackson (Bn 1906), a School Teacher.
No 8 Cintra Court
Margaret May (Bn 1889) a Widow.
No 11 Cintra Court
Phillip Ashmore (Bn 1899) and his wife Dorothy (Bn 1899) (married 1923). In 1917, when he was 18 years old, he enlisted with Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment. His occupation was an Editor’s Assistant and living at 6a Boxall Road, Dulwich Village. In 1939 (both aged 40), when they were living in Flat 11 Cintra Court, Phillip was Editorial Staff and Dorothy was an Air Raid Precaution (ARP) Warden.
No 15 Cintra Court
Marion Stefox (Bn 1885), a Widow and Harry Lamb (Bn 1889), a Traveller/Fancy Goods.
No 16 Cintra Court
Leslie Brown (Bn 1908) a Salesman, and in 1939, an Auxiliary Fire Fighter (AFS), for Penge. The AFS was established in January 1938 and fire stations were set up in buildings such as schools and welcomed men and women who were too old, too young or unable to go to war.
No 16 Cintra Court
Margaret McBride (Bn 1879), a Saleswoman.
No 21 Cintra Court
William Manning (Bn 1910), a Civil Servant Engineers Chief Officer for the GPO and his wife Doreen (Bn 1911).