Grange Hill is a short steep road connecting Grange Road with South Norwood Hill. At its foot is the imposing 'Grange'. Half way up on the left now hiding amongst a recent gated development is Gayfere possibly one of the oldest houses in Norwood and where Mr J Teasedale in the 1850s bred medicinal leeches in his ponds. Further up are two Lodge Houses, the White House which once served Preston House and at the top stands the quirky Fawe Park Lodge.
Maps and Land Ownership
It is unclear from these extracts who owned the land now occupied by Grange Hill in 1800. There appear then to be two properties already built Gayfere and The Grange. Grange Hill did not extend beyond the Grange as Decimus Burton Road, later Grange Road, which linked Thornton Heath with the Beulah Spa had yet to be formally laid out.
The tithe map of 1847 shows the following land owners:
- 3599 Henry Barton
- 3603 Chas Bingham
- 3604 William Pawson
William Pawson was a local land owner at one time (1835) owning the whole of the Whitehorse Estate which included the Beulah Spa grounds. William Pawson was a wealth magistrate living in Farnley Yorkshire. He made his money as a woollen cloth merchant. On his death in 1863 Whitehorse farm was passed to his youngest son Charles Hall Pawson.
- 1800 Croydon Inclosures
- 1820/30 Gayfere and The Grange built
- 1850s Grange Hill House built
Building of the street
Significant Street Buildings