South Norwood Hill
South Norwood Hill was shown on Roque's map of 1745 as Beggars Hill and on the 1800 inclosure map but an 1818 map names it as Beaulieu Hill. Crutchley's map of 1826 names it Beggars Hill and so does Robert's map of 1847.
Beggars Hill was officially named South Norwood Hill in 1864 when at a meeting of the Croydon Board of Health on 7th June 1864, one of the precursors to Croydon Council, the Roads Committee recommended that "the hill at Norwood called Beggars Hill be in future named Norwood Hill". The report and its several recommendations were received and adopted (Croydon Board of Health, 1864), (Report of Roads Committee, 1864).
On the Ordnance Survey six-inch map surveyed 1867-68 and published in 1872 it is clearly named "South Norwood Hill". The section between Southern Avenue and the High Street is named on the same map as Pawson's Place.
Building of the street
- Pascall’s Brickworks
- The White Lion
Pascall’s brick works may date back to 1789 but probably not at the South Norwood site. The opening of the Croydon Canal in 1809 is thought to have lead to the development of Pascall’s brickfields in South Norwood. They manufactured tiles, drain pipes, garden pots, chimney pots and other fired clay goods.When the clay on that site had been worked out they sold it to William Stanley who built his house Cumberlow, the Stanley Halls and the Stanley Trade School there.After this the Pascalls continued production on the other side of the railway in Harrington Road. The brick works included two pairs of worker’s cottages.
Significant Street Buildings