Welch – 3 Hadlow Place

In 1861, David Welch (aged 29) (Bn 1833 Waterperry, Oxford D1884 aged 51) lived at Crown Lane with his wife.

He married Emma in 1865, in the Parish of St Mary, Lambeth, when he was a Widower and they both lived in Lower Norwood.

In 1871, they lived at 18 Arpley Road, Penge, his occupation a Coachman.

By 1881, they had moved to 3 Hadlow Place, his occupation a Groom and Gardener, with their sons Frederick (aged 13) and Jesse (aged 7) (Bn 1896).  Jesse, in 1901, was a House Painter and by 1911, was working for the South Suburban Gas Company.  Founded as the North Surrey Gas Company in March 1853 the name was changed twice more, in November 1853 becoming the Crystal Palace District Gas Company and in August 1904 it finally became the South Suburban Gas Company.  It amalgamated with the Bromley and Crays Gas Company and the West Kent Gas Company in August 1912, the Dartford Gas Company in November 1918 and the Tonbridge Gas Company in July 1932.  The main offices of the Company were at Sydenham along with the original gas works.  There were other works at Bromley, Dartford, Sevenoaks and Tonbridge.  On nationalisation in 1949, they became part of the Kent Suburban Division of SEGB.

Jesse married Emily in 1895 and they moved to 66 Dillwyn Road, Lower Sydenham.  Their son, Sidney Charles Welch F/419 (Sergeant), joined the Duke of Cambridge’s Own (Middlesex) Regiment, 17th Battalion aged 19 and was Killed in Action in France on 8 August 1916, aged 20 just over a year later.  In 1911, Sidney had been a Messenger Boy, at Benson’s Advertising Agency, aged 14.  He is buried at Thiepval, Departement de la Somme, Picardie, France.