Sir Arthur George Macpherson (1828-1921)

Sir Arthur George Macpherson (1828-1921)

Lived at 2 Bonnard Villa Central Hill in 1861

Arthur George was born on 26 September 26, 1828 at Old Machar, Aberdeen. He was the youngest son of Dr. Hugh Macpherson (1767-1854), professor of Greek and  the sub-principal of King’s College , Aberdeen. Hugh and his wife Christina Macleod (1785-1860) had fifteen children. William also had four sons with his first wife Anne Maria Charters (1784-1807).

 Arthur George was educated in Aberdeen and Edinburgh. He became a barrister  at  the Inner Temple in 1852. He was the Legislative Secretary first to the Government of Bengal from 1862 to 1864 and later to the Government of India. He was a Judge of High Court at Calcutta from 1864 to 1877.

He was Legal adviser to Secretary of State for India, between 1879 and 1882 then Judicial Secretary, at the India Office, from 1882 until his retirement in 1893.

In  July 1860 he married Frances Caroline Martin in Calcutta. They had eleven children.

At the time of the 1871 the family were living in Thicket Road adjacent to Crystal Palace Park

In 1889 he became a Knight Commander of the Indian Empire.