Hook – Hanover Lodge, Anerley Vale
HOOK – Hanover Lodge, Anerley Vale
Caroline Hook née Archer (Bn 1861 4 Clive Road, West Norwood D1928). She married John Hook, a Carpenter, in 1886 at All Saint’s Church, Upper Norwood. In 1911, Caroline lived in Hanover Lodge, Anerley Vale, with her daughter, Emily (14) who was born in St Hugh’s Road, Anerley, occupation Daily Work, two sons William (22) and Charles (16). Both sons were born in Evelina Road, Penge (houses no longer there).
Son William (Bn 1889) in 1911, worked for Brocks & Co, Fireworks. He married Emily Seal in 1919, when he was 32 and she was aged 39, and Charles (Bn 1895) was an Errand Boy for Smith & Sons (1911).
Brocks & Co, were an established company in South Norwood and Sutton and developed an association with the Crystal Palace with popular magnificent displays on the Crystal Palace terraces. They devised public displays known as ‘Brock’s Benefits’ from 1826, and adopted ‘Crystal Palace’ as a brand name. In 1868, the company built a firework manufactory in Nunhead, South East London, not far from The Pyrotechnists Arms [built 1874, one of the oldest pubs in the area]. It was then referred to as C.T. Brock & Co, ‘Crystal Palace’ Fireworks. Brock Street, was built on a closed section of nearby Tappesfield Road, commemorating the factory.
Caroline had another son whilst living at 52 Ridsdale Road, Anerley, Edward Thomas Hook (Bn 1892), occupation a Musician. He originally enlisted in the Infantry in November 1906, Declared age 15 years 11 months, 5’1”. A later report on his character was remarked as sober, honest, smart, hardworking and in regimental band for 7 and a half years. He became a Corporal in the East Surrey Regiment (9134) and was Killed in Action on 9 May 1915, aged 23, and is remembered on the Menin Gate in Belgium.