Elmslie, Edmund Wallace (1818 to 1899)
Lived at 15 Cintra Park (Hythe Villa)
Edmund Wallace Elmslie llived at ‘Hythe Villa’ No 15 Cintra Park (1871 Census aged 52) with his wife Theodore (aged 32) and daughters Theodora (aged 7) and Ida (aged 2). They had three Servants, Caroline Higgs (aged 21), Cook, Alice May (aged 24), Housemaid and Matilda Bealey (aged 15), Nursemaid. He was a British architect who designed the Great Malvern Railway Station. He was born Maidenhead, Berkshire about 1818 and died at Enderley in Avenue Road, Great Malvern in 1889. He was the son of James Elmslie (1779-1865) and Caroline Anne Foster (1793-1861). The family’s wealth derived from Edmund’s grandfather John Elmslie who held investments in sugar cane plantations in Jamaica .
Edmund Wallace Elmslie married Theodora Price (1839-1922), daughter of Revd Charles Aubrey Price, who had been vicar of Chesterton in Oxfordshire, on 17 September 1862. Edmund and Theodora had one son and four daughters. Aubrey Wallace Elmslie born Malvern, 1865 who sadly died an infant. The four daughters were Theodora, Florence Ernestine, Ida Mary and Hilda Louise.
In 1856 Elmslie had been living in Whitehall Place, London. In 1861 prior to his marriage he was an architect living in Malvern at Vernon Lodge. By 1871 the family had moved to Hythe Villa, Cintra Park. Kelly’s 1884 Directory of Worcestershire recorded Elmslie, an architect, back in Malvern at Hilminster in St Anne’s Road. He later moved to Enderley in Avenue Road (possibly now number 10) where he died on 1 July 1889.
Edmund Wallace Elmslie is best known in Great Malvern for designing Great Malvern Railway Station circa 1862, the bridge over the railway, the stationmaster’s house, and the impressive Imperial Hotel c1861, now the home of Malvern St James Public School for girls which stands opposite the station.
Elmslie also designed a Victorian gothic mansion, St Mungho’s (in 2012 known as The Grove), built about 1867, on the corner of Albert Road and Avenue Road, to be his family home. However, due to business commitments in London, he sold the house to Dr Archibald Weir. It has since been renamed Elmslie House.