The Stables, South Vale (1840s)
Stables (1 South Vale with additional out buildings on the even side of the street). The stables dated back to at least the 1840’s and were demolished in the early 1970’s (now the site of Barrington Walk). The stables were the main commercial establishment on South Vale until its demise between the World Wars. The census returns show that families lived above the stables, presumably caring for the horses, and that many others in South Vale were employed in this business. For example, in the 1901 census 7 South Vale was headed by Henry Clarke (Coachman) and Robert January (Coachman). Also in the 1901 census, 5 South Vale was inhabited by Alfred Earwaker (Cabman) and Samuel Southey (Coachman).
Advertisement from the Norwood News 16.4.1887