The Duke of Cornwall Public House
The Duke of Cornwall pub stood of the corner of George/Cawnpore Street with Woodland Road and was numbered both 41 George Street and 41 Woodland Road, as it had its doors on each road, but it was popularly known as belonging to George Street as it began as part of the Palace Villas on George Street originally. In 1870, George Plant is listed as the beer retailer, when it was part of a group of houses. In 1901, the landlord was Sidney Bass (aged 35 from Wimbledon), his wife Elizabeth (aged 35 from Poplar, East London) and their daughter, Sylvia (aged 5 months).
In 1891, Edward Carter (aged 67 from Norfolk) and his wife Mary (aged 71) were the Licensed Victuallers, with their granddaughter, Elizabeth (aged 24) as an Assistant.
In 1901, Sydney Bass and his wife Elizabeth (both aged 35) looked after the pub. On the Census they had a five month baby, Sylvia.
Edward Noakes was a landlord of The Duke of Cornwall pub from 1914 until 1927. The pub closed in 1935 and then became a laundry until it was destroyed, along with the grocery shop next door at No 39, by a bomb during WW2.
In 1911, Frank (from Newton Abbot, Devon) and Mary Chudleigh (from Tamerton, Near Plymouth) (both aged 40). They had two sons Leonard (aged 12) and Horace (aged 11). Leonard later joined the Royal Navy.