Kingslyn was a grand Victorian villa to the east of Grange Road where Kingslyn Crescent stands today. It was built by Dr W S Black in about 1877 and was numbered 1 Grange Road. Kingslyn had four large reception rooms including a 30 foot dining room with parquet flooring and lounge, billiard room and conservatory on the ground floor, ten bedrooms, two dressing rooms two bathrooms and servant’s offices and quarters. There was a large entrance hall with tessellated marble floor and which extended upwards through three floors to a stained glass ‘lanthorn’, lantern. Within the extensive grounds there was a porter’s lodge, garage, stabling, a cottage for the head gardener, kitchen garden, croquet lawn, tennis court and orchard. Beneath the house was an extensive wine cellar and strong room.