ALBION TOWER

Albion Tower, currently number 21 South Norwood Hill was probably built in 1860, as it appears in the 1861/2 street directory.  It is a building in Italianate style, much favoured by Victorians in the 1850s and 60s.  The style was made popular by Cubit’s design of Osborne House, on the Isle of Wight, for Queen Victoria in 1849.

Albion Tower, centre.

Residents:
  • George O’Bryen Ottley, Lieut-Colonel, 1861,
  • John Brothers, Commander, 1866, 1868. (Died 1868). Buried All Saints Church Yard.
  • Francis Tallack, 1869, 1876, 1878, 1879, 1880, 1889, 1891, 1892, 1894, 1895, 1897. (For sale 1875 & 1897).
  • William Dixon Gatenby, 1900, 1905.
  • Unoccupied, 1907, 1910.
  • John J R Wyatt, 1912, 1913, 1915, 1916.
  • Unoccupied, 1918, 1919.
  • Owen Hogg, 1922, 1924.
  • Property name changed to: Regalo
  • Rowland Johnson, 1925, 1928, 1929. (DOB 1885?)
  • Mrs E Johnson, 1930, 1932, 1937. (Edith?)
  • Miss Johnstone, Linden Lea Studio (portraits), 1938.
  • David Wolff, 1955.

Sales Description: 6 bedrooms, bath (h & c), 3 reception-rooms, & ample others, coach house, stabling, garden, tennis court, gardens. (Property Sales, 1897).

It appears on the 1894 OS map with extensive grounds both in front and to the south-east.  At that time the building extended to Holmesdale Road, today there is only a single story garage on that side which may have been the “coach house” on the sales description.