6 to 1 & 2 Paxton Terrace – 40 to 50 Anerley Road/Anerley Hill
6 TO 1 & 2, PAXTON TERRACE
(40 – 50 ANERLEY ROAD/ANERLEY HILL)
(FOR NO 42 ANERLEY HILL, SEE SEPARATE RESEARCH)
INTRO FOR PAXTON TERRACE
The 1871 Census doesn’t show any property numbering on Paxton Terrace, which stands between Pleydell Avenue and the Paxton Arms pub which is on the corner with Palace Road. The first known shop premises adjacent to the Paxton Arms were already trading by 1868 (the Paxton Arms Public House was built by 1857). In 1872, four of the premises were occupied by the Normal College for the Blind. Advertisements in newspapers, between 1870 and 1873, quoted Anerley Hill, later stating both Anerley Hill and Anerley Road.
Paxton Terrace was originally numbered No 6 (now corner of Pleydell Avenue), No 5, No 4, No 3 and Nos 1&2 (next the Paxton Arms). On the 1891 Census, the numbering changes to No 40 (now corner with Pleydell Avenue) down to Nos 48 & 50 Anerley Road (next the Paxton Arms).
In 1875, the name of Anerley Hill was abolished and the hill was included as part of Anerley Road, which was the other side of Palace Road.
Officially in 1915, this section reverted back from Anerley Road to be known as Anerley Hill.
The change of name therefore led to both Anerley Road and Anerley Hill being quoted, sometimes within the same newspaper article.
An article in the Norwood News on Saturday, 24 April 1875, states: –
The attention of the Board was called to the inconvenience occasioned by ‘Anerley’ and ‘Upper Norwood’ being the postal names of different parts of the hamlet of Penge, the name ‘Penge’ not being recognised by the postal authorities. The Board decided on the following alterations in the names of the streets in the hamlet:- the name of Anerley Hill to be abolished, the hill to be included as part of Anerley Road.
ANERLEY ROAD – ANERLEY HILL
Norwood News Friday, 1 October 1915
The committee reported: A vote of the ratepayers in the portion of Anerley Road situate between the top of the hill and Crystal Palace Station Road having been taken, and found to be almost unanimously in favour of altering the name of such part of Anerley Road to Anerley Hill, the committee recommended that such portion of Anerley Road be renamed to the occupiers of the houses on the north east side of such road between Ledrington Road and Crystal Palace Station Road, requiring them to number their houses 1 to 27 odd numbers inclusive. No 1 to be Carlton Lodge at the corner of Ledrington Road.ARCHITECTURE
|No 50 adjacent to the Paxton Arms
|No 48 decorative corbel, with
evidence of a mystery feature above
|Corbels remain to this day
No 46 & 44 Anerley Hill
|Mystery feature above
2022 [Photos: J Ray-Heard]
It is not clear from the 1871 Census, which number the following residents resided, probably as boarders or lodgers as opposed to business premises, but listed are:
Probably a lodger at No 4: Policeman:
George Tarrant (Bn 1834 Windsor, Berks D1878 Romany Road, buried Norwood Cemetery). He retired as a Police Sergeant in 1874, aged 40, due to Deafness and Rheumatism, with a Pension of £46 16s. He married Emma in 1863. They had two daughters, Emma (Bn 1864) and Ann (Bn 1866).
Builder and Contractor:
James R Moore (aged 52 Bn 1829 Cambridgeshire). He married Elizabeth (Bn 1844). In 1881 they are at an address on Anerley Road.
James and Elizabeth also have three servants, Elizabeth (aged 23 ), Eliza (aged 28) and another Eliza (aged 17).
They have a Visitor, William Henry Hawkes (Bn 1813 aged 58 born in Okehampton, Devon D1886), who in 1852, qualified as Master of the Merchant Service of the Mercantile Marine Act 1850 and Entered at the General Register and Record Office of Seaman. In 1881, his occupation was a Cab Driver in Marylebone and married to Rossetta (aged 24 Bn 1857 Croydon D1924 aged 68). In 1880, they had a son William (Bn 1880 D1948 M1904), who in 1887 attended the Ragged School, Bell Street (now Bellfield Secondary School). In 1911, aged 53, a Widow, occupation a Dressmaker, Rossetta is in the St Marylebone Workhouse, Northumberland Street.
Others listed in April 1871, is Chetwode Drummond Pringle, a ‘Coffee Planter’.
Chetwode Pringle (Bn 1839 Cowfold Sussex D1879 aged 39). He married Ella Eliza Elliott (Bn 1839) on 29 March 1871 at the Countess of Huntingdon’s Chapel, Cheltenham. His father was Mark Pringle (Bn 1811 Cape of Good Hope South Africa D1882) of ‘Landed Property’. Her father was Robert Ker Elliott, who owned Harwood and the Clifton Park Estate, Kelso, Scotland from 1845.
They may only have been resident at Paxton Terrace for a short period after their marriage in March 1871. By 1897, they resided in Rome, where their daughter Violet, married Count Carlo Basta.
NO 6 PAXTON TERRACE, ANERLEY ROAD (CORNER PREMISES)/40 ANERLEY HILL
William Henry Smith (Bn 1848 Brighton), who was a Dentist. His father too, had been a Dentist. He married Jessie Chandler (Bn 1845 Suffolk) in 1871. Her father had been a Farmer. Jesse/Jessie Smith traded as a China & Glass Dealer. By 1891, they resided at 1 Hamlet Road.
(1891 & 1901)
Miss Denne Simpson (Bn 2 February1829 Bloomsbury D1905) – living on own means. Her father Harvey (Bn 1801 D1836 aged 35) was a Straw Hat Presser (1829). On the 1841 Census, her mother Harriett (Widow) is a Straw Bonnet Maker (M1825 Bn 1806 D1885). In 1901 (aged 72) Denne’s occupation states she was a Retired Ladies Companion/Governess (at least from 1871 in Buckinghamshire). On the 1851 Census, her occupation is a Nurse. In 1891, at 40 Anerley Road, she has a Domestic Servant Housekeeper Emma Gayler (aged 44), Domestic Servant/Nurse Rebecca Norton (aged 50), and a General Servant Mary A Gayler (aged 19).
In 1901 (aged 72), she still had Emma Gayler and Mary Gayler, as her Domestics, plus a Domestic Nurse, Emma Evans (aged 50).
She died at 12 Waldegrave Road in 1905.
No 40 was a shop called Marguerite.(1911 Census, 1920 and 1925 Street Directories)
William Thomas Rowden (Bn 1860 Clapham Town D1913 40 Anerley Hill) and his wife Jane Rowden (Bn 1867 D1937) – Bakers & Confectioners. They married in Norfolk in 1883. In 1881, William’s father was a Master Baker, Employing 3 Men, and living at 5 Anerley Vale. In 1881, Jane had been a Ladies Maid in a house called The Hollies, Clapham.
In 1901, William and Jane were living in Laurel Cottage, Fox Hill, where their youngest son Edgar William Rowden was born (Bn1886 D1917) (See War Heroes)
By 1920 & also 1925 Street Directories
No 40 Anerley Hill [No 6] was also a Telephone Call Office.
NO 5 PAXTON TERRACE, ANERLEY ROAD/42 ANERLEY HILL
See separate section regarding the Royal Normal College for the Blind, The Suffragettes and other residents.
NO 4 PAXTON TERRACE, ANERLEY ROAD/44 ANERLEY HILL
George Littlejohn (Snr) is listed in the 1878 Directory, as a Milliner at 4 Paxton Terrace.
George Littlejohn (Bn 1843 D1904), a Draughtsman, lived with his wife, Emma (Bn 1848 Maidstone). They had three children, George, Maud and Sydney, plus a 20 year old Domestic Housemaid, Fanny Houchen.
On the 1939 Register, their children George (Bn 1871 Peckham), Maud (Bn 1873 Peckham, an Artist) (Widow) and Sydney (Bn 1875) are all living together at an address in Esher.
Frederick Cranwell (aged 70) (Bn 1821) Widower, an Oriental Carpet Merchant.
Mrs Emma Columbine (née Royal) (Bn 1862 Brandon Suffolk D1945 aged 89). She married Herbert in 1893, Chelsea, who was Killed in Action during the Boer War on 11 July 1900 at Zilikats Nek, South Africa Field Force. He had been a Private in the Lincolnshire Regiment, 2nd Battalion (No 748). Her son Herbert Columbine (Bn 28 November 1893) (see War Heroes) was just six years old.
By 1901, aged 39, (a Widow), she and her son Herbert, aged 8, lived at 44 Anerley Road [Hill], where she was a Furniture Dealer. Herbert had originally attended St Leonard’s School in Streatham (other family resided in Streatham). After moving to 44 Anerley Road, he attended the Woodland Road School on 5 June 1899, later attending Melvin Road School (the school later became Rock Hills). By 1902, Emma had moved to 35 Marlow Road, Anerley and was a Wardrobe Dealer.
A few years after her husband’s death, Emma and young Herbert, settled in Walton-on-the-Naze.
Herbert (Jnr) enlisted with the 19th Royal Hussars in 1911. In 1915, the regiment became part of the 9thCavalry Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division and the Machine Gun Detachment became the 9th Squadron Machine Guns Corps.
George Dowsett (Bn 1877) and his wife Elizabeth (Bn 1876), both born in Bethnal Green. He was a Picture Frame Maker.
Also at No 44
Samuel Page (Bn 1873 D1942), his wife Elizabeth (Bn 1877 Wales) and eight month old son, Ivor (Bn 1910). Samuel was a Letter Sorter for the General Post Office, and his son, also later worked for the postal service. Ivor was also an ARP Warden during WW2. He married Sybil Keith in 1939 and they lived in Woodend, Upper Norwood.
1920 Street Directory
Miss May James, Fancy Draper
1925 Street Directory
Henry Harding, Ham & Beef Stores
By the 1980’s this became a Newsagents and retained its original shop front style, with shop entry slightly inward on the side. It later changed to a Convenience Store with replacement shop front.
NO 3 PAXTON TERRACE, ANERLEY ROAD/46 ANERLEY HILL
In 1871, John Pike opened a ‘First Class Tailors and Habit Maker’ at No 3 Paxton Terrace.
John Pike was 25 (D1925 Devon)and his wife Bessie/Betsy (aged 28 Bn Okehampton, Devon D1935 Devon) (M1868). They had a one year old daughter, Bessie. John’s father was a Farm Bailiff and Betsy’s father, a Farmer.
By 1911, they had moved to 64 Belvedere Road (8 rooms). John is still a Tailor and they had been married for 42 years. Their daughter Bessie, aged 41, is a Teacher of Music.
Frederick Davenport Cox (Bn 1864) (aged 27) lived with his wife Florence (aged 28) (m1891) daughter Dorothy Florence, aged 2 month (Bn 22 February 1891) who attended Woodland Hill School on 5 November 1895. Frederick Cox was a Watch and Clock Dealer.
Frederick Cox, aged 47 (Widower), was still trading at 46 Anerley Road [Hill] (8 rooms) as a Watch & Clock Dealer. His daughter, Dorothy (aged 20) was also resident, as well as a General Domestic Servant, Frances Melluish, aged 36.
He was still listed there in the 1920 and 1925 Street Directories.
NO 1 & 2 PAXTON TERRACE, ANERLEY ROAD/48 & 50 ANERLEY HILL
By 1878, No 1 & 2, Paxton Terrace, were occupied by Francis J Brewer (Bn 1846 Cornwall D1895 aged 50) a Draper and Silk Merchant, with his wife Catherine (Bn 1845 Cornwall D1937 aged 92). They married in Truro in 1875. In 1851/1861, his father had been a Farmer of 180 acres, employing five Labourers in Probus, Cornwall.
They are listed in a Street Directory for 1 & 2 Paxton Terrace by 1878 and on the 1881 Census.
In 1881, Francis and Catherine had two children Ada (Bn 1877 Cornwall D1950) and Frank (Bn 1879 Cornwall, who later emigrated to New Zealand).
They had three Draper Assistants, Alice Harrison (Bn 1856 Brighton), Adelaide Mansfield (Bn 1854 Bath D1884 aged 30) and William Snell (Bn 1862 Devon).
There was also Domestic Servant, Elizabeth White (Bn 1859 Cornwall D1929) and Catherine Burley (Bn 1861 Torquay). Also, Lodgers, Alice Williams (Bn 1848 Devon) with her sisters Fanny (Bn 1844 Devon) and Caroline (Bn 1838 Devon).
In 1891, Francis and Catherine had moved to Barnet, and he was in the Glove Trade.
(1891 & 1901)
In 1891 (and 1901), the Drapers shop premises adjacent the Paxton Arms, was numbered 48 & 50, run by William Thomas Nassau (Bn 1843 D1914) and his wife Frances Sarah (Bn 1842 D1918). They married on 10 March 1880, West Hackney. He was a Draper and she, a Dressmaker. They had five Dressmakers, a Housemaid, a Kitchen Maid and a Domestic Servant Cook, Annie Prior, aged 22 (Bn 1868 Takeley, Essex D1956). On the 1881 Census, William and Frances were trading at Brunswick Parade, Crystal Palace Station Road. His father too, had been a Draper.
Their Domestic Servant Cook Annie, later married Alfred Greygoose (Bn 1868 D1950, a Horse Keeper) in 1891 in Takeley, Essex. Their son, Private Leo Eric (37608) 1st Btn East Surrey Regt, was Killed in Action on 23 August 1918, at the Somme, aged just 19 years of age.
His brother Private Lawrence John Victor (32185) 9th Btn Essex Regiment, also fell. He was Killed in Action at the Somme, on 12 May 1918, aged 21 years old. He is buried at Acheux British Cemetery.
Annie and Alfred Greygoose, were living at 44, Eastfield Road, Enfield Wash, Middlesex. Both sons are commemorated on the War Memorial in St James Church, Enfield Highway.
Henry Clark (Bn 1858), his wife, Minne (Bn 1968) ran a Fancy Stationers at Nos 48 & 50. They had six daughters, Violet Minnie (1889), May (1891), Ivy (1896), Constance (1897), Dorothy (1900), Winifred (1907/1908), and two sons, Lewin Henry (1892) and Jack Stanton (1909). There was also Henry’s brother (aged 61) and their sister, Elizabeth (55) whose occupation was at a Registry Office for Servants.
No 2/48 Anerley Hill
The Women’s Suffrage Society had previously occupied No 42 Anerley Hill. By 1925 it was known as the Norwood Society for Women’s Service and relocated to No 2/No 48.
No 1/50 Anerley Hill
Arthur Hill Bookmaker.
No 50 Anerley Hill (next to Paxton Arms) was a Greengrocers, with a display of fruit and vegetables set up outside the shop.
SOCIAL HISTORY OF PAXTON TERRACE/ANERLEY ROAD/ANERLEY HILL
Norwood News – Saturday, 9 July 1870
IMPORTANT TO HOUSE AGENTS – At the Croydon county court, on Monday last, a case Norton v. Ranyard and Moore was heard, being an action to recover commission on the letting of two houses, Nos 1 and 2, Paxton Terrace, Upper Norwood, the amount claimed being £8 for the two houses. Mr H Parry appeared for the plaintiff and Mr Ody for the defendant. The plaintiff’s case was that he was employed as exclusive agent for the two houses, that he put up his own notices that they were to let; that he advertised them in his periodical register; and they were let to Messrs Cook, drapers, thus establishing his claim to the commission. In cross-examination the plaintiff was asked whether he ever had any communication with Messrs Cook. He said he was unable to say that he had. He admitted that in February, when Mr Ranyard, the mortgagee in possession (Mr Moore being the mortgagor) informed him by letter the houses were let, he made no claim for the commission, nor did he deduct the amount he now sought on a subsequent occasion when he had a money transaction with Mr Ranyard.
Mr Howes, house agent, was called to prove that Messrs Cook, whom he had known for years, wrote to him asking whether he knew of premises likely to suit either in Norwood or Croydon. He applied to Mr Rowland, another house agent, who gave him an order to visit No 2 Paxton Terrace, and he let No 1, for which he received less commission, Mr Rowland claiming on No 2, for which he gave the order. Mr Ranyard, solicitor, deposed that he instructed Mr Norton to get rid of a former tenant of No 2, and told him he might consider himself as an agent for the letting of the house. He also submitted to witness a description of the property as published in his list. As soon as he had come to terms with Messrs Cook, he wrote to them, but the plaintiff had nothing to do with the transaction.
Witness subsequently told him that he was sorry he had not let his house through him, as he had paid another party. He employed plaintiff on another matter, and he had money of witness’s in hand and he could have deducted his commission if he thought he was entitled to it, but he did no such thing. Witness was not satisfied with the amount the plaintiff held on the occasion referred to, and sued him for £5 more for which he obtained a verdict at the last court.
Plaintiff then made this claim – Mr Parry said the case came before the Registrar in the absence of Mr Norton and judgment for £5 was then obtained. His Honour said that it was strange that the plaintiff did not apply for his commission when he was informed that the houses were let and that he did not deduct the amount when he might have done so. – Mr Parry said that the other agents had improperly acted upon the information contained in the plaintiff’s list and applied to the defendant Moore, through whom the houses were let. – His Honour ruled that it did not matter how the information was obtained. The landlord might instruct a dozen persons to let his houses, but it did not follow that because they were let through the instrumentality of one agent, that all the others should obtain commission. If Mr Parry thought he could get evidence to over-throw that for the defence he would adjourn the case till the next court, on payment of the cost of attorney and two witnesses, and if he was not in attendance the case would be given ‘de novo’. – The case was therefore adjourned.
The first Census found is for 1871, although newspaper advertisements can be found for 1868.
London Evening Standard – Thursday, 17 September 1868
TO IRONMONGERS and Others – To be SOLD
a Bargain, a good BUSINESS, where a good working and jobbing trade can be done.
Must be sold at once
Apply by letter to M.P.; 2 Paxton-terrace, Upper Norwood
On the 1871 Census, property numbers are not individually listed. However, the property attached to the Paxton Hotel Pub, was originally No 1, Paxton Terrace, continuing up to No 6 Paxton Terrace on the corner of what later became Pleydell Avenue. Thanks to newspaper adverts at the time, it can be confirmed that Nos 1 and 2, were Drapers and Silk Mercers, known as W & T Cooke.
Thomas Hinkley Cooke (aged 23 Bn 1848 Jersey, Channel Islands D1880) and his wife Eleanor (aged 20) (M1870) and 3 month old daughter Maude (born in Upper Norwood). They had a 17 year old Servant, Mary from Kingston Upon Thames. Thomas died in April 1880 when he was a Glass Writer and Embosser, and they were living at 24 Fenwick Road, East Dulwich. Eleanor, a Widow, became a Boarding House Keeper in Finsbury (1881 Census), living with her daughter Maude(aged 10) and Eleanor (aged 4). Maude later became a Matron in an Industrial Home and then emigrated to New Zealand.
Next door, at No 2, were also Drapers, W.P. Cooke (aged 26), his wife Alice (aged 19), his widowed mother Julia (aged 59), his brother-in-law, James (aged 16) an Apprentice. They had one Servant, 23 year old Sarah Kingsland from Kent.
Thomas Hinkley Cooke and his brother William P Cooke, both married their wives at the same church in Hackney on the same day, on 17 March 1870. Both grooms stated their profession as Drapers, resident at St Pauls, Penge [Hamlet Road, Anerley]. Their wives Eleanor and Alice were sisters (both ‘minors’).
Norwood News – Saturday, 23 September 1871
W & T COOKE
1 & 2, PAXTON TERRACE, ANERLEY HILL
DRAPERS AND SILK MERCERS
THE LAST DAY FOR THE SALE OF THE SURPLUS STOCK
Greatly Reduced Prices
CLOSE AT FOUR O’CLOCK ON SATURDAYS
Norwood News – Saturday, 28 June 1873
MESSRS W & T COOKE
Beg respectfully to inform the Ladies of Norwood and surrounding neighbourhood that in compliance with the request of their numerous customers, they have now added
DRESSMAKING & MILLINERY
to their Establishment. The best materials made up in the latest Parisian Fashions, at moderate prices. A perfect fit guaranteed.
Batiste Costumes from 6s. 11d, to 21s
Tussore and White Pique in great variety; a large assortment to select from.
W & T COOKE
1 & 2, Paxton Terrace, Anerley Hill, Upper Norwood
Opposite the Palace Station.
Previously, in 1868, an advertisement appeared in the South London Chronicle –
Saturday, 11 July 1868
THE BEST & CHEAPEST IRONMONGERY,
OILS, COLOURS, &c.,
CAN BE HAD AT
LAMBERT & GODDARD’S NEW ESTABLISHMENT
2, PAXTON TERRACE, UPPER NORWOOD (Opposite Railway Station, Crystal Palace),
and at Park Road, Forest Hill, S.
For No 3 Paxton Terrace, John Pike, Master Tailor, advertised in 1871:
South London Chronicle – Saturday, 8 April 1871
3, PAXTON TERRACE
ANERLEY HILL, UPPER NORWOOD, S.E.
HAVING taken the above premises, which I intend to open as a First-class Tailors, I beg to solicit your custom, favoured with your orders, it will be my constant endeavours to merit a continuance of your patronage.
The goods have been selected from the best manufacturers, including some very choice patterns for Spring and Summer wear.
The manner of cutting will be by mathematics, as applied to anatomical principles, which will enable me to promise a perfect fit; at the same time I will guarantee that all articles shall be well made and of good value.
Hoping, Sir, that I may be favoured with a trial. I am,
Your obedient servant
LADIES RIDING HABITS, JACKETS & MANTLES & LIVERIES AND UNIFORMS
JUVENILE CLOTHING SMARTLY CUT
Ladies and Gentlemen waited on with Patterns when required.
All prices very moderate.
South London Chronicle – Saturday, 21 October 1871
TAILOR AND HABIT MAKER
3, PAXTON TERRACE, ANERLEY HILL, UPPER NORWOOD, S.E.
Ladies and Gentlemen waited on with patience.
All prices very moderate.
Norwood News Saturday, 7 July 1888
THE DARING WATCH ROBBERY ON ANERLEY HILL – At the Central Criminal Court, on Tuesday, George Tolhurst, aged 19, giving his address as 25 Canonbury-street, Old Kent-road, printer, and Charles Scott, aged 18, 23 Eastinan-street, Bermondsey, were charged with being concerned together in stealing ten silver watches, one metal watch, and one silver chain, value £10, from inside the shop 46, Anerley-hill, the property of Frederick Cox, watchmaker and jeweller. – Prisoner Tolhurst was acquitted, but Scott, who pleaded guilty, and had been previously convicted for burglary, was sentenced to 12 months’ hard labour
Norwood News Saturday 18 August 1888
IRISH & ANGLO-DANISH EXHIBITIONS
Watchmaker & Jeweller
SILVERSMITH & OPTICIAN
154 Southampton Row, W.C., 46 Anerley Hill and Clerkenwell
SPECIALITY – OLD ENGLISH WATCH-CLOCK JEWELLERY
Old Gold and Silver Plate Bought for Cash or Taken in Exchange
Silver Keyless Watches, 25s. Strong Silver Watch, 18s 6d.
Jewellery made from the interior of old watches 100 to 200 years old
Norwood News Saturday 6 May 1905
STRANGE STORY OF A RING
On Thursday, 27th ult, a well-dressed man named Henry James Stockwell, 42, Garfield-road, Chingford, was charged at the Penge Police Court, with wrongfully obtaining a diamond ring, value £36 10s, the property ofMr Frederick Cox, jeweller, of Anerley-hill.
Detective Foster said from enquiries made he went to 63, Aldworth-road, Stratford and knocked at the door. He heard a scuffling inside and then the door was opened by Miss Huggins. He asked if Stockwell was there and she said “No, he left last night.” Witness entered the house and went to the rear, where he found the accused in the w.c. He told him he had a warrant for his arrest and read it to him, and he replied, “Yes, I had the ring on approval. I have sold it.” He was then taken to the Gipsy-hill Police-station and charged.
The case was remanded till Tuesday and then occupied the court some time.
Mr Moss defended. The first witness was Miss Margaret Catherine Cox, 46, Anerley-hill, who said she managed the business for her brother, Frederick D Fox, a jeweller. On October 3, 1904, she saw the defendant, who came into the shop and wanted her to let him have a half-hoop diamond ring on sale or return. He said he had a business as a watchmaker and jeweller. The value of the ring was £36 10s. He gave her £35 in bank notes and was to pay the 30s if he sold the ring. A week or so later he returned and said he was sorry, but his customer had gone away, and he returned the ring. He gave a cheque for the £35.
On March 20, she saw the defendant again. He stated that his customer had come back, and asked her to let him have the ring again, as he thought he could sell it. He talked to her about his business at Woodford Green. She asked him to leave the cash as before. He replied that he had no notes, but would give a cheque, which she took. He asked her to hold the cheque over for a few days until he knew whether the ring was sold or not. She had not seen him since. On the Saturday, a letter came saying the lady customer was away for a few days, and saying he would let her know as know soon as possible. The letter was written on a printed heading, Stockwell & Co. She waited a few days longer and then wrote to the defendant, and told him that he must return the ring, as she had a customer for it. He did not answer that letter for some time and then wrote to say the lady was still away and asking that the cheque be held over a little longer. She eventually sent the cheque to the bank, and it was returned “Account closed”. She heard it had been closed three years. She then wrote to the defendant, and asked for the return of the ring, but did not say anything about the cheque having come back from the bank. She received no reply and gave information to the police, and a warrant was issued.
By Mr Moss – The first transaction was satisfactory. She admitted receiving a letter on April 26 after the warrant was issued, stating defendant had sold the ring, and that he would call.
Ernest Blomfield, High-street, Woodford Green, a jeweller and watchmaker, stated that he took the shop in September 1903. He believed that it had previously been occupied by Mr Stockwell. In the shop there were certain billheads with the name of Stockwell & Co. upon them. He had not one. Having been shown one of those upon which defendant wrote to Miss Cox, witness said they were similar. No one had since 1903 carried on business at his address as Stockwell & Co.
Cross-examined by Mr Moss – He took the premises of the landlord, and the shop was closed at the time. There was a little stock there, which he had since bought.
Mrs Chas Wesley Lines, who said he was retired, stated he purchased the ring for £50. The ring was offered him on April 20 and he purchased it on April 22. It was not the defendant who sold it to him, but his brother, who witness knew. Witness was not approached by anyone in respect of the purchase of the ring till April 20. He did not see the accused.
Inspector Badcock asked for an adjournment till next Tuesday, in order to call the manager of the bank, and perhaps another witness.
The Bench consented, and refused bail. They intimated that they had decided to send the defendant for trial at the Quarter Sessions at Maidstone.
Hampstead & Highgate Express – Saturday, 31 July 1875
HENRY GLAVE has bought by PUBLIC TENDER THE STOCK OF
MR J.J. NEWTON
Silks, Velvets, Costumes, Gowns, Evening Dresses, Ball Dresses,
Ribbons, Pocket Handkerchiefs, etc
of 4, Paxton-terrace, Upper Norwood
It will be offered for Sale at Half the Original Cost, for CASH only. Catalogue free.
Norwood News – Saturday, 24 March 1906
LONDON SILK EXCHANGE
Proprietors – Morlock & Co
Are Selling On
THE STOCK OF
MADAME MARGUERITE, 6 ANERLEY HIL
No known bomb damage to this actual parade of shops, although the Paxton Arms pub on the corner with Palace Road (the pub didn’t reopen until 1955 due to the impact of the bombing), Palace Road itself, Palace Square, nearby premises on Anerley Road (Hanover Parade and Brunswick Parade), Anerley Vale and Crystal Palace Station Road, suffered severely during WW2, on 10 & 11 July 1944.
40 Anerley Road [Hill]
Private Percy George Rowden (G/53161) the youngest son of William Thomas and Jane Rowden, Bakers & Confectioners, of 40 Anerley Road. He was born in Fox Hill in 1886 and had been an Assistant in his parents shop.
He joined the 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, London Regiment and Died of Wounds in Flanders on 10 September 1917, aged 31. He is buried at the Dozinghem Military Cemetery, Vleteren, Arrondissement Ieper, West Flanders (West-Vlaanderen), Belgium. He is remembered on the Beckenham War Memorial and the Penge Roll of Honour.
42 Anerley Hill
Thane’s Cash Bazaar, shopkeeper John Walter Herbert and Fanny’s son Ralph John Thane (Private 22237) (Bn 1883) married Ann Elizabeth Gardner (Bn 1879 D1944) in 1913. He had been a Glove Warehouseman (1911 Census).
He joined the East Surrey Regiment, 9th Battalion and was Killed in Action in Flanders on 21 March 1918, aged 34.
He is buried at Bellicourt British Cemetery, Bellicourt, Departement de l’Aisne, Picardie, France.
No 44 Anerley Road [Hill]
Private Herbert George Columbine (50720) VC (Bn 28 November 1893) joined the 19th Hussars at 1st Cavalry Brigade, Wellington Lines, Aldershot in 1911.
His father, also named Herbert, was Killed in Action during the Boer War on 11 July 1900 at Zilikats Nek, South Africa Field Force.
He had been a Private in the Lincolnshire Regiments, 2nd Battalion (No 748) and fought in Mons and Ypres. On 22 March 1918, the day after the opening of the German Spring Offensive, Private HG Columbine was part of a machine-gun crew in an exposed position in Hervilly Wood, France.
Private Columbine took over command of a gun and kept firing it from 9am to 1pm in an isolated position with no wire in front. During this time, wave after wave of the enemy failed to get up to him, but at last with the help of a low-flying aircraft the enemy managed to gain a strong foothold in the trench. As the position was now untenable, Private Columbine told the two remaining men to get away, and although he was being bombed on either side, he kept his gun firing, inflicting losses, until he was killed by a bomb which blew him up along with his gun. His last known words were “Save yourselves, I’ll carry on”, shouted to his two comrades. His heroic action enabled the gaining of valuable ground for the allied forces.
His body was not recovered and he was commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, The Somme. As he never married, his mother, Emma, was presented with his VC by King George V at Buckingham Palace on 22 June 1918, exactly three months after his posthumous action. She declined to accept his Army Pension which she was entitled to and the people of Walton-on-the-Naze, where she was now living, set up a street collection for her and raised £312 9s 2d which was exchanged for War Bonds. Her son’s medal was subsequently presented to Walton-on-the-Naze District Council, Essex, who in turn handed it over to the local British Legion, who still own it. At this time it was kept in a bank vault. The medal has been on loan to the Essex Regimental Museum, Chelmsford since 2013.
The Columbine Statue Fund was set up under the patronage of Dame Judi Dench to raise money for a statue to Private Herbert George Columbine in Walton-on-the-Naze. The statue, sculpted by John Doubleday was erected on 1 August 2014 on the seafront at Walton-on-the-Naze. The Columbine Centre, a leisure and community centre in Walton-on-the-Naze, is named after him. A book has also been written about him.
The London Gazette of 30 April 1918 reported:
For most conspicuous bravery and self-sacrifice displayed, when, owing to casualties, Private Columbine took over command of a gun and kept it firing from 9 a.m. till 1 p.m. in an isolated position with no wire in front. During this time wave after wave of the enemy failed to get up to him. Owing to his being attacked by a low-flying aeroplane the enemy at last gained a strong footing in the trench on either side. The position being untenable he ordered the two remaining men to get away, and, though being bombed from either side, kept his gun firing and inflicting tremendous losses. He was eventually killed by a bomb which blew up him and his gun. He showed throughout the highest valour, determination and self-sacrifice.
He was 24 years of age and is remembered at the Poziers Memorial, Somme and Awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for Gallantry.